Hello! I'm writing from Penn Station, in New York. This is where my 17 week journey begins. Lili and I are taking the Amtrak train departing at 2:15 PM from NY and arriving tomorrow morning, 8 AM, in Atlanta, Georgia. We each ate a slice of pepperoni pizza, and now we're waiting to board!
We spent all morning trying to make our packs lighter. Some of the things we removed were: aromatic Indian rice, herbs de Provence salami, sweatpants, extra socks, and extra 96 oz water bladders.
It feels like I can't possibly get rid of anything more, but I'm sure I will feel differently after a few days hauling this around. I wonder which things I'll jettison? Here is a list of things I have in my pack now:
- tent
- sleeping bag
- inflatable sleeping pad
- clothes: 2 synthetic t-shirts, 1 cotton sleep shirt, 1 tank top, 1 undershirt, 1 synthetic long sleeve shirt, 1 flannel, 3 pairs of socks, 4 pairs of underwear, 2 sports bras, 1 leggings, 1 light-weight zip-away pants (jungle pants), 1 pj pants.
- vest
- raincoat and rain pants
- sarong
- 2 bandanas
- wide brimmed hat
- 3 lights: headlamp, small flashlight, and tiny LED light
- Leatherman multitool
- maps & guidebook
- cook stove
- water filter
- water bottle and extra water bladder
- first aid kit
- toiletries, sunscreen, and bug repellant
- gold bond
- trowel
- toilet paper
- flip flops
- emergency whistle
- lighters
- baby wipes
- compass
- nylon rope
- nylon tarp
- dry bag full of food: oatmeal, tea, dry mango, couscous, trail mix, Jaipur vegetables, sopresata, herbs de Provence sausage (only one instead of two) spicy beef jerky, fruit leather, red lentils, fresh cinnamon crumpets, pita bread, and other things that I can't remember.
So anyone want to take any bets on what I ditch first?
Apparently, after about 30 miles, many people just give up. Or, they get rid of half the weight in their pack and continue on.
I feel like I just have NO IDEA what to expect.
The thing is, at this point, I'm really okay with that. Whatever I encounter, I'll figure out a way to deal with it. I will prioritize safety, of course, but beyond that, I'm doing this for no other reason than for its own sake. I am free to make choices and make changes as things come up. I'm looking forward to being outdoors all the time, spending the next couple of weeks with my sister, meeting interesting people along the way, enduring a physical challenge, and seeing beautiful sights. I don't really have any clearly defined goals other than to start walking tomorrow and keep walking until I get to Massachusetts, 17 weeks and 1,500 miles later. Oh, and I'm really looking forward to getting a trail name!
When we arrive in Atlanta, Val's brother Kevin will meet us at the Amtrak station and we'll have breakfast all together. Then around 11 AM, Lili and I will be picked up and shuttled to Amicalola Falls state park, where we will hike up the approach trail to the actual AT trailhead on Springer Mountain.
I plan to carry my phone with me and update this blog as often as I can, presumably about once a week. The best way to reach me will be by email, probably, but I really am not sure how often I'll be in touch.
Stay tuned!

I am sorry you had to loose one of the sausages, but I'm glad to hear there was a second sausage!! All hail sausage!!
ReplyDeleteWhy is it, that knowing you, I think it'll be clothing you ditch? ;). Be safe. I love you!! Q
ReplyDeleteWhatever you do, keep the Gold Bond!
ReplyDeleteAlso, to prove I was not a robot just now, I had to type in "didgeridoo 666"...Satanic Aboriginals on blogspot?
ReplyDelete