Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 41 - Hiking out of Kincora hostel, Hampton, TN

Hey there. I spent the past two nights in a hostel where I had neither wifi nor phone service. I did, however, have the opportunity to charge my phone and am now up on a mountain overlooking Watauga Lake, where I have 4 bars of 4G service. Since I won't be able to charge my battery again for a few days, I'll keep this quick. Just some highlights and photos from the past week:

- I was chased over a mountain by thunderclouds. I sang out every prayer I could think of and managed to avoid getting dumped on or struck by lightning.
- I did my first 20 mile day! I even took a 3 hour coffee break in Elk Park, NC and still got to the next shelter by dark (and before the downpour).
- I slack-packed 9 miles yesterday, which means I stayed two nights in a hostel and did a day hike in between. In the early afternoon, the person who runs the hostel (who is from Boston!!!) dropped me off 9 miles away and I hiked back. Saw a beautiful waterfall called Laurel Falls.
- Last night I cooked spaghetti with black olives, Parmesan, and wild nettles and ramps that I foraged on my day hike.
- Met an 87 year old German man who might break the record this year for oldest person to complete a thru-hike.

I will be in Damascus by Monday and hike out again on Tuesday. Everyone says Virginia is easier, and I'm looking forward to that!! My knees are my only complaint at the moment. Other than that, feeling good!

Photos are: Dense spruce forest; my shadow on Round Bald; Stan Murray shelter, where I escaped the hail; the view from Overmountain Shelter; the mountain I was chased over; the storm that was chasing me; coffee break in Elk Park; the beautiful weather the next day; Kincora hostel; and Brown's grocery store (where I ate pickled eggs for the first time in my life... And enjoyed them!)



























1 comment:

  1. On the one hand, that's the prettiest hostel I've ever seen. On the other hand, it's basically the set for a cabin in the woods horror movie.

    ReplyDelete