Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day 44 - Back in Damascus, VA at Mojoe's coffee shop

I'm back in Damascus, for real this time since I hiked in. Last time I was technically still in Erwin. It was so strange how when people met each other at trail days, we'd say "where are you?" meaning, where on the trail. Now I'm really here.

The past few days, I've been hiking along what some people call the "Tennessee Turnpike" because the trail is well-maintained and doesn't have major elevation changes, so you can breeze along. It's not always quite as "interesting" as the more challenging parts, but my sore legs appreciated the gentler miles. I've learned to identify many more of the plants along the trail, including some tasty ones like young greenbriar shoots. I've also gotten much better at setting up my hammock. Didn't have rain the past few nights, thankfully. I've been walking with Tails and her dog Skeeter, and it's been nice to have the company after walking most of the past week alone.

When I'm walking along, my thoughts wander wildly. It feels like I travel farther in my mind than I do on the trail. Without schedules or distractions dictating what I have to think about when, my mind is free to skip around or really delve into something all the way until its through.

Often I have conversations with people in my head. Articulating my feelings and opinions to imaginary audiences helps me understand myself better. In real interactions, it's too easy to slip into expected behaviors and not actually express what I want or need. Or even give it much thought.

I think a lot about Emily. I miss her constantly, to the extent that missing her is almost like having company, it's so prevalent. It's not as nice as having her actual company, though. Sometimes two years and Paraguay feel infinitely distant.

Another constant presence in my mind is food. I am always hungry, and I eat many times a day. I start every morning with oatmeal and tea and gummy vitamins, and within an hour and a half I need to stop for a granola bar, and somewhere around 11am I eat a snickers. Then I might have nuts or beef jerky or a protein bar or sausage. And lots of water, always. I always look forward to dinner, which lately has consisted of quinoa with chicken bouillon. This week it's various flavors of dehydrated mashed potatoes all week, though, because I got a bunch of packets for free from another hiker. In town, I eat pizza and burgers and pancakes and smoothies and sandwiches and salads and cookies! I love eating.

Sometimes I talk to God when I walk. Definitely when I am praying to not get struck by lightning, but sometimes also just to say, hey! Nice waterfall! Or, thanks for making those yellow flowers grow right next to those purple ones. Walking alone through the wilderness gives you all kinds of opportunities to feel gratitude and awe.

I think about the names of plant varieties and try to identify the ones I can. I don't feel as far from home when the flora looks more familiar. I've learned so much since I've been out here.

I think about my aching knees and the parts of my body that have gone numb. I have skin peeling off randomly and itchy patches and impressive callouses. I pay attention to those things enough to make sure they don't get worse, but as long as they don't change, I can mostly ignore them.

I don't think too much about grad school, except that it will keep me from finishing the AT this summer. I feel a major pang of regret about that. But I just try to swallow it.

The big excitement of my Damascus visit was the Smyth County Bluegrass Jam last night. I heard there was live bluegrass music, so I jumped in the back of a truck with a bunch of other hikers, and we ended up at a Lions Club with a bunch of septuagenarians dancing in the aisles between the folding chairs to old-time tunes played on fiddles, mandolins, steel guitars ad upright bass. There was also a potluck. I ate pecan pie and peach cobbler and banana pudding. I enjoyed the music and the food, but my favorite part was riding in the truck down the highway, past the beautiful countryside, feeling the wind.

Back on the trail this afternoon. Feeling rested and ready. My next town will probably be Atkins, VA in 4-5 days. Three weeks until I meet Becky! Yay!

Photos are: Pretty flowers; the "Tennessee Turnpike"; cows on the AT; the state line; view from the back of the truck; my hiker friends in the truck with me.














1 comment:

  1. What a great post. It's great to get a glimpse of what it feels like to go on this adventure. I wish I was there with you, but reading your posts are a good second!

    ReplyDelete